Sorkin had previously expressed interest and willingness to write a sequel to The Social Network should it involve the film's director David Fincher on numerous occasions since its original release. A follow-up to the film entered development in June 2025 with Sorkin attached as both writer and director. Casting for the film's ensemble was also underway that same month. Principal photography began in October 2025 in Vancouver, Canada and wrapped in December.
The Social Reckoning is scheduled to be released by Sony Pictures Releasing in the United States on October 9, 2026.
In January 2019, Aaron Sorkin, the screenwriter of The Social Network (2010), revealed that producer Scott Rudin has suggested the development of a screenplay for a sequel, noting, "A lot of very interesting, dramatic stuff has happened since the movie ends."[2] Sorkin also mentioned that there was indeed enough material to create a sequel.[3] On July 18, 2019, Jesse Eisenberg, who starred as Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg, expressed his interests in starring in the proposed sequel, stating that "Sorkin is a genius, and if he chooses to write about something, I'll obviously be interested".[4] In October 2020, a decade after the film's release, Sorkin announced that he would only write the sequel's script if The Social Network's David Fincher returned as director.[5] In 2023, Fincher told The Guardian that he and Sorkin have discussed a sequel, but said "that's a can of worms."[6] In April 2024, Sorkin said he had been working on the script for a new Facebook movie tied to the January 6 United States Capitol attack.[7]
Announced with the title The Social Network Part II, the film was reported to have entered development in June 2025, with Sorkin attached as both writer and director, with the story focusing on the 2021 Facebook leak by whistleblowerFrances Haugen as reported by Jeff Horwitz in The Facebook Files for The Wall Street Journal.[8] Sorkin will produce the film alongside Todd Black and Stuart M. Besser, after collaborating on his last two films, The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020) and Being the Ricardos (2022), as director.[8] The film's title was changed to The Social Reckoning in September 2025.[9]
In September 2025, The Hollywood Reporter reported that Bill Burr joined the cast as an unknown character in the film,[13] with Strong, Madison, and White confirmed for the cast, with Strong replacing Eisenberg.[14] Eisenberg passed on reprising the role of Zuckerberg for the film, having felt, among other reasons, that he had outgrown it.[15] The following day, Garfield confirmed he wouldn't reprise his role as Saverin in the film either, citing how the real-life Saverin is currently living in Singapore to explain his absence from the film's plot, but expressed his interest in the project.[16] Additional castings including Wunmi Mosaku, Billy Magnussen, Betty Gilpin, Gbenga Akinnagbe, Tehmina Sunny and Portia Doubleday were announced throughout October.[17][18][19][20]